Author Topic: Using an Arc Welder to Braze  (Read 2068 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Using an Arc Welder to Braze
« on: 02 February, 2022, 04:25:19 pm »
Well today I started to clean the back of the work van out and compress what I actually cart around as retirement has finally arrived, sort of. I remember a long time back I saw Dad using this to braze up some bits and pieces but he actually used this adaptor to do over head brazing under the Mini Moke he had for his weekend work to repair the rust in the side pods. His result was a far neater flow of the brass than what I could do down hand on a bench using the oxy. Dad was a very talented man when it came to many things especially welding.
As you can see it is a SIP brand brazing kit which used carbon arc to create the heat to melt the brass. After WW2 Dad and his brother were using larger scale carbon arc on the ships that came back from the war and converting them back for civilian use. I had totally forgotten about this small chest of draws that were filled with more of his welding kits, 2 brand new sets of oxy goggles still in the original boxes, more rods and other things of his that bought back some good but upsetting memories of his like his wallet and old key ring. Who would have though that something like that would hit so hard.
I have no idea of what to do with this accessory as it is the sort of thing that could be of use to someone and I have no intentions of using it.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.