Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 2538 times)

Cockie

What is it?
« on: 21 May, 2022, 11:11:06 am »
I was asked to have a look at this object to see if I could identify what it may be. The owner said it was a gold press, but I'm wondering if it was described by the previous owner as a cold press. Looks like a heavy duty pasta maker. It on a cast iron frame the rollers are about 2.5" diameter and 6" wide, there are no markings on the framework.  Any information would be appreciated.
Cockie

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2022, 09:02:43 pm »
With only 2 rollers its not to roll metal or gold. Cold press is a better suited descripion for me and maybe with the ability to open the gap of the 2 rollers maybe and only maybe might be for pressing suggar cane. I ma be way off the mark but it is a start.
Too industrial for pasta.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Normanby

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2022, 06:11:06 am »
It looks like a rolling mill used with precious metals like silver and gold. Used to squeeze or flatten strips to the required thickness for making ring bands, and other jewellery findings. Just about all manufacturing jewellers would have one, some manually operated and some now are motor driven. I had one over 30 years ago as a lapidary and jewellery hobbiest. Some machines have grooves in the end of the rollers for rolling round or square wires. The metal had to be annealed very often to keep it soft enough to use. The rollers needed to be very smooth to prevent marking the finished piece.

Cockie

« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2022, 07:31:50 am »
Thanks, guys, the rolls are a bit weathered.