Author Topic: Lister JP3  (Read 4686 times)

Teddy

Lister JP3
« on: 02 January, 2009, 06:12:42 pm »
Hey there engine lovers- (I can say that, because tractors, steam and other stuff are away doing their own thing!)

Still finding my way around, but it's looking good. I'll get around to some pics and other stuff soon.

I never did find an engine number on my Lister JP3. Anyone got any ideas whwere to find it? The numbers on the fuel injection pump are helpful, but it would be nice to i.d the actual engine. Have tried "oldengines.org" with a little success, but not the complete answer.

Thanks in advance

Teddy
Still learning (slowly!)

oldcranker

• Beaudesert, Qld.
Re: Lister JP3
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2009, 04:22:46 pm »
Didn't learn too much for you Teddeey just the usual places, face of the flywheels or the end of the crankshaft.
BK

Nothing like a good crank

Teddy

Re: Lister JP3
« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2009, 06:17:42 pm »
Thanks BK,
Nothing on the flywheel, but it does not look original anyway.
Other (non marine ) JP3s have an ID plate on the middle crankcase door, but the middle door on this unit carries the dual (marine changeover) filters, and there is no ID plate there or on the other doors either.
It must be somewhere (tearing hair out).
I dismantled the water pump today. That is a beautiful piece of work, solid brass, with a single piston, but two sets of chambers. I am still figuring out how it works, but I am assuming one "circuit" is for fresh water cooling the engine, and the other "circuit" is for salt water cooling the fresh water, (a common set up on marine engines.) Anyone out there familiar?

The previous owner dismantled the engine with a hacksaw, so there are problems!

Thanks for your help mate.

Ted D, (aka teddy, Teddee or shagnasty on a bad day.)