Author Topic: Smelley Bros Engineers Brisbane  (Read 10129 times)

grumdum

Smelley Bros Engineers Brisbane
« on: 02 January, 2009, 09:54:12 pm »

Hello there
            I hope some queenslanders may be able to help me with any available information on the Smelley Bros engineerig works,what stationary and marine engines did they manufacture or were agents for and years of manufacture.I know of a Smelley Bros engine,about5 or 7 horse power, two stroke,kingston carburettor, magneto ignition chain driven,horizontal flyball governor of decided marine appearance.Any information on the firm or the engine will be appreciated.
           Heres Hoping
               grumdum

hoarder1

• Livin' the high life in Warwick, Qld.
    • Click HERE to see some more of my pictures
Re: Smelley Bros Engineers Brisbane
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2009, 10:16:52 pm »
Smellie & Co were agents for Allchin traction engines and Aermotor windmills among other things.  I've also seen a chaff cutter with their agency badge on it, but can't recall the make of the machine.  It was belt driven so didn't have its own engine.

Period advertisements had themselves billed as 'Ironmongers and Hardware Merchants' and 'Importers of all kinds of machinery and agricultural implements'.  (Brisbane Courier, 10th August, 1896)

They were also boatbuilders and in 1872 launched 'Louisa' the first steel hulled steamship built in Queensland.

This Allchin traction engine was on exhibit in 2006 at Jondaryan Heritage Festival.
« Last Edit: 02 January, 2009, 10:48:22 pm by hoarder1 »
Collector and fan of ye olde crappe. I collect old number plates.  Have you got any?  Send me a PM if you do.  :-)  I might even trade them for other old junk.

hoarder1

• Livin' the high life in Warwick, Qld.
    • Click HERE to see some more of my pictures
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2009, 10:38:48 pm »
They also imported the first Hudswell Clarke two-foot gauge locomotive into Australia for carting sugar cane near Mackay.  For further reading:  http://www.lrrsa.org.au/LRR_SGRb.htm#Hudswell_Clarke_Locomotives

And in 1879, RR Smellie & Co were sole agents in Queensland for Robey steam engines and boilers.
« Last Edit: 02 January, 2009, 10:43:54 pm by hoarder1 »
Collector and fan of ye olde crappe. I collect old number plates.  Have you got any?  Send me a PM if you do.  :-)  I might even trade them for other old junk.

franco

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2009, 12:12:23 am »
There was a Smellie & Co. branch in Ingham, N. Q. in the 1950s. I still have various tools and a kerosene blowlamp I bought there in 1955. Still use the blowlamp occasionally.

Frank (sednas on the old forum)
Cairns, Queensland

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2009, 09:19:33 am »
 There is a Mietz and Wiese (spelling?) engine in the Mount Isa museum with a Smellie and Co badge.

Hi Matt
The MIETS & WEISS engine at MT Isa left the country in 2002 bought by a Dusty Erickson USA look at the attchment below also a picture of the Townsville Smellie bulding long gone now
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Mick Christie

« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2009, 03:45:11 pm »
g'day all
here are some pics of the engine grumdum is refering to. the govenor, magneto and carby on this engine are not original items. the govenor is off a petrol hornsby engine, carby is of automobile origin and the magneto is an add on as the engine originally would have been buzz coil ignition. as for the make of engine, it is of usa manufacture but i dont know the maker its self as i have gone through all my stuff and cant find the maker thought i have found several engine very close to the ones in the pic. maybe some of the list members can help gumdrum out on its identity.
    cheers
           mick
collector of exotic american built sideshaft engines in gippsland victoria

jayvee

« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2009, 05:53:27 pm »
 Hi grumdum & Mick,
The carby hanging off this engine is a Kingston (looks like "L") model.  I've got one hanging off my 4hp Sundex A.
Kingston carby's are early 1900's vintage and were used on Model T's and some tractors.

Jayvee

grumdum

« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2009, 09:10:37 pm »
Hello
         Just a short note to say a heartfelt thanks to those who replied to my post so quickly ,it is very much appreciated as i have already learnt a lot more about the Smellie engine.
       Thanks Again
              grumdum

Yeppoonie

« Reply #8 on: 05 January, 2009, 12:30:49 pm »
Smelley & Co were down the bottom of Edward St. 1st & 2nd  buildings up from the river,opposite the old Navy office & the 1st became the  the Industrial High School. they were not in business there in the '60s. cheers.

interm

« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2009, 03:48:04 pm »
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/kendolbottles1black/?action=view&current=chaff002.jpg
heres a link to a chaffcutter cover i found same company smellie and co cheers ken

Eric Schulz

« Reply #10 on: 10 January, 2009, 05:25:19 pm »
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/kendolbottles1black/?action=view&current=chaff002.jpg
heres a link to a chaffcutter cover i found same company smellie and co cheers ken

May I make a couple of suggestions? If you want to post a specific image from your Photobucket file, under the image is a list of urls. Select and copy Direct Link. Go back to your forum page and click on the Insert Image icon - bottom row, second from left. Now copy the url which will automatically go in the correct spot. Now you will not only have your image visible in your post, but noone will see your other images.

Another thing that I believe is worthwhile for anyone who is serious about digital photos, is to get a decent editing programme on your computer. Apart from what comes with the computer, I have Adobe Photoshop Elements. With it you can do things like this with one click:

From this, and we all have them

to this

Of course you can fiddle with the image in lots of ways, and you sometimes need to, but it is amazing what can be done with just one click. And, no, I am not on commission from Adobe!

Eric

interm

« Reply #11 on: 10 January, 2009, 11:33:00 pm »

have got the hang of it now nameplate from the same company cheers ken

Killer

« Reply #12 on: 11 January, 2009, 12:17:37 am »
I have a boiler feed pump with a smellie agents badge on it.
Cheers.